Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Restaurant Review: Peking Garden (Greensburg, PA)

Today, I had a 4:00PM phone call appointment with an admissions counselor at the Art Institute of Raleigh-Durham (it went really well and I definitely learned a lot!) and my mother had a 7:00PM meeting with ladies from her New Neighbors club, so, rather than take time to cook (and dirty up the kitchen), we decided to meet up with my dad and get some Chinese food for dinner. Our favorite local place is Peking Garden, located in Greensburg, PA, a casual restaurant with a nice little sushi bar and the typical Chinese restaurant menu loaded with all of the dishes you'd expect (Beef and Broccoli, General Tso's Chicken, Sesame Chicken, etc.) plus a few unique ones.


My dad and I typically stick to a platter loaded with sushi for our dinner, and tonight was no exception. We ordered a few pieces of sushi/sashimi a la carte (tuna, smoked salmon, yellow tail, red clam) and a sushi roll called the Dynamite Roll (spicy salmon and crispy tempura with spicy crab meat, avocado, and masago on top)—all very good. My mother ordered the Beef and Snow Peas with white rice and my dad and I snuck a few spoonfuls of that onto our plates when we'd finished our sushi. For dessert, my mother and I each had an ice cream mochi; my mother got mango and I got green tea. Mochi are essentially Japanese rice cakes pounded down into a sort of sweet, soft paste that's then molded into shape—in this case, into a hollow ball that was then filled with ice cream. Weird, but tasty. Our check came with a few slices of orange and the traditional fortune cookies.

Considering it's just a small restaurant nestled in amongst a medical center, AAA, and party store in a shopping center, it's very good and definitely a step up from the local take-out place or the grubby, out-of-date Chinese buffet. I've had a number of different sushi rolls there and they've all been very good (in fact, when I first started eating sushi last summer, this was the place I'd go to with my dad to try new rolls and pieces and learn what I liked and didn't like). I've also tried a number of main dishes and appetizers and they've all been great. I've always enjoyed their egg drop soup, Amazing Chicken (a spicy chicken dish), and combination fried rice and I'd be happy ordering anything there.

So, if you're in the area and you're looking for some good Chinese food, with a small selection of Japanese food and a great sushi bar, check out Peking Garden.

Peking Garden
Eastgate Shopping Center 1136 E. Pittsburgh St. 
Greensburg, PA 15601
724-838-1498

No comments:

Post a Comment